Something Inspiring: The Photo Essay Project

{Something Inspiring is a series of short posts that highlight an article, photo, or video that inspired me. Enjoy!}

I had the pleasure of meeting Bindu Wiles at the World Domination Summit in June. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to talk with her for very long because I was volunteering. But she immediately struck me as someone who’s incredibly sincere, kind, and giving.

I’ve been following her work for a while and I’m in awe of her iPhone photography! She consistently posts amazing photos that capture the beauty of people and places.

Photography is a big part of my life. I constantly snap pictures with my big camera, a Nikon D5000, and my iPod Touch. For me, taking photos is a form of meditation. It forces me to slow down and look for the tiny, little details that make life so inspiring.

And speaking of inspiring stuff . . .

Last week, I volunteered at Living Yoga and the Volunteer Coordinator asked me to take photos at their annual gala. I was honored by the request and said yes. Logan and I attended the gala last year and it was incredible. Seeing so many people come together for such an amazing organization made me cry. Hopefully, my photos do the event justice.

To beef up my photography skills, I’m considering enrolling in Bindu’s Photo Essay Project. Regardless of whether or not I enroll, I wanted to let you know about the project. If you have an iPhone (or an iPod Touch that has a camera) and love taking photos, consider signing up for the course. It starts on Monday, September 26th and runs for five weeks.

• Dave September 22, 2011, 2:08 pm

…and this is the photo I was taking 🙂

• Tammy Strobel September 22, 2011, 3:28 pm

Dave – I thought you’d like that photo.

Those toes look familiar. That day on the beach was so much fun! Let’s plan another trip soon! 🙂

• Jessica September 22, 2011, 3:13 pm

Very cool project!

• Tammy Strobel September 23, 2011, 4:17 am

@Jessica – Indeed! Great hearing from you. 🙂

• SillySimple September 22, 2011, 5:26 pm

I think this is the first time I have ever been jealous of people with an iphone. That sounds like so much fun to do 🙂

I recently invested in a DSLR which I am soo happy with, I was just thinking this weekend about how it has already helped my photography just by forcing me to stop and think about what should be infocus and what should be out of focus when I snap a shot.
    Love it!

• Tammy Strobel September 23, 2011, 4:20 am

@SillySimple – Great comment and so true! 🙂

I love my iPod with the camera. It’s a lot of fun to take shots with. Although, my big camera rocks. It captures a crazy amount of detail that I wouldn’t be able to get with my tiny iPod.

• Caroline September 22, 2011, 7:17 pm

I think your photography skills are already pretty remarkable, Tammy. I love all of the pictures you post – you have a real talent.

• Tammy Strobel September 23, 2011, 4:17 am

@Caroline – WOW! Thank you so much for the compliment. That’s really sweet. 🙂

• mark September 23, 2011, 3:45 am

I just started a (lame) internal program: I take mental photos of sudden compositions. You mention that it is a “form of meditation.” There may be a time when these moments and the camera happen together. If not, I’ll have that moment. It’s a kind of retraining to see; I’ve heard that for those “who see, every bush is a burning.” Hell yeah!
    M

• Tammy Strobel September 23, 2011, 4:15 am

@Mark – I like that tip – “taking mental photos of compositions.” Nice!

Photography is kind of like drawing for me. I’m actually in the process of learning to draw again. I knew how to draw as a kid, but I lost the skill somewhere along the way. Anyway . . . drawing and photography is like learning to see again. It really forces me to notice the details. Especially, drawing. 🙂

Thanks for stopping by!