How do you give?

Editor’s Note: Every Friday, I post a Simple Living News Update that includes links to some of my favorite articles of the week. In addition to the update, I answer a reader question via video.

Earlier this week a few readers asked me:

“I’ve seen a few tweets go by about the Yogathon you’re participating in. Can you tell us more about the Yogathon?

For those of you who can’t watch the video, here’s my response:

Before I tell you about the Yogathon, let me give you a little bit of background. Most of you know that I’ve been volunteering in the Living Yoga office since I moved to Portland last year. I’m still volunteering in their office and I’m hoping to start teaching classes soon.

What is Living Yoga all about? In short, Living Yoga is a non-profit outreach program “teaching yoga as a tool for personal change in prisons, drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers, transitional facilities, and to populations who would otherwise not have access to it.”

The Living Yoga Yogathon is kind of like a Walkathon. The Yogathon began on April 15th and ends on June 10th. My goal is to attend 50 yoga classes during this time and get a small sponsorship for each class. All the money raised during the Yogathon will go to Living Yoga. Please consider sponsoring me.

Normally, I close comments on Friday round-ups. But this week, I want to hear your stories about giving. How do you give and how does giving make you feel?

For more about yoga, read this post: How to Change the World By Doing Yoga

Now onto the news . . .

Give Yourself a Raise

“If we take the total for purchasing and operating a passenger sedan of $9,412 per year and subtract the total for purchasing and operating a bicycle of $1,100 per year, we’re left with $8,312. If we divide that amount into the typical work year of 2,080 hours, we have $4.00 per hour. That’s a significant raise people can give themselves by eliminating a car!”

Friends vs. Subscribers

“I used to spend a lot of time worrying about getting more people to subscribe to my blog. And I’m not the only one; seems like most of the blogging advice out there revolves around two things:

1. How to grow subscriber numbers.
2. How to monetize those subscribers.

Those are the two driving forces behind nearly all blogging advice, whether it’s about putting pictures in your posts or writing a benefits-driven about page or obsessing over branding.

But blogging like that? Always worrying about maintaining the right “personal brand?” It’s exhausting. And it doesn’t feel real.”

I’m Having A Gaga Moment

“I have listened to my 10-year-old self and spoken to my 80-year-old self. Both have taught me to look beyond age – to listen, to learn and to respect the wisdom of both young and old. Recently, a 25-year-old woman taught me a few things not only about herself, but about life and how to truly live it with whole-hearted gusto.”

Cool Stuff

• Tomas Quinones April 29, 2011, 8:26 am

How do I give back?

I help people, sometimes strangers, eventually become friends, “Move By Bike”.

Since 2006, I’ve helped 35 people, by bicycle.

Also, I’ve done various volunteer work in the bike community: Ride-along Mechanic, Traffic Calming, Helmet Fitting, Paper-Shuffling, Traffic Counting, and Testifying at City Council.

• Tammy April 29, 2011, 8:39 am

@Tomas – You rock! Yay for bike moves and the amazing bike community in Portland! 🙂

• Kevin Keasling April 29, 2011, 2:40 pm

I do life coaching for halfway house inmates who are getting out and getting thier own apartments. I also hope to someday volunteer as a life coach in afterschool programs for teens. My motto is
    Reduce
    Reuse
    Recycle
    Respect
    Reaffirm
    I know people enjoy helping but I think at times I get more from the people I help then what I give them.

• Gary Jordon April 29, 2011, 7:00 pm

Kevin I felt the same when I was volunteering with severely intellectually disabled adults/teens. Some of them managed to wiggle into parts of my heart that no one else could. Thanks for sharing such a courageous activity. I don’t think I would feel comfortable with prison inmates.

• Gary Jordon April 29, 2011, 4:38 pm

Thanks for explaining the Yogathan. What this “Living Yoga” does sounds very awesome. Hope you get sponsers and you have a good time teaching Yoga.

Oh BTW I have read your Smalltopia. I like it a whole lot. It might one day help me turn my love of flute playing into a small business. I am having trouble dreaming up services I can provide. Also I would love suggestions either by you or one of your readers as to how I might combine my desire to help create an inclusive world for disabled people with my music(I play Native American Flute, Irish pennywhislte and even sing). What with all the poisons and radiation I suspect there will be more disabled people than ever before. Thus these people regardless of their apparent abilities need both microbusiness sized livelihoods and a means of art as therapy/stress management.

Have a great day.

• Gary Jordon April 29, 2011, 4:41 pm

Oh I almost forgot the most important thing these new people and those of already here need is a sense of genuine inclusion in our world. Not a handout and not being hidden from view because it makes people look and feel bad.

• Nichole Sadowski April 29, 2011, 5:06 pm

I like to walk and I wanted to volunteer somewhere new this year so I began walking dogs at my local pet/humane society. I adopted both my pets-a wonderfully sassy cat and my faithful dog from there and thought it was also a great way to honor their route into my life. I find it really rewarding on many levels and highly recommend it!

• Holli April 29, 2011, 9:08 pm

What an inspirational post, and comments!
    The Yogathon sounds amazing.
    Last week I wrote about how I choose to give back locally, in my neighborhood. I am a volunteer for our neighborhood council. It sounds a bit stuffy, but really is just a bunch of neighbors willing to meet regularly to organize and improve the neighborhood.
    We just hosted a neighborhood clean up where we picked up trash along 9 blocks, repainted a “Welcome to Delridge” sign and spruced up the park’s flower beds.
    Volunteering this way has helped me meet friends within walking distance. I also understand local government more clearly. And best of all I can see the results of my effort and time.

• Emily Rae May 2, 2011, 12:33 pm

A little late to the party here, but wanted to contribute. I give to the community/third place I’ve very much involved with. I don’t work much (for money, anyways) so the traditional 10% tithe is hard, but I contribute time and things as well. I’m part of the potluck committee (which really means I wash a lot of dishes), I bring yummy snacks at least twice a month, I teach the kiddos, and I give hugs. On a neighborhood level, I bring a bag with me on my walks, and I fill it up with trash from the ground.