How to Navigate Work-Life Balance + The News

Every Friday, I post a Simple Living News Update that includes links to some of my favorite articles of the week; along with an inspiring quote from each piece.

In addition to the news update, I’m answering a reader question every week. In the following one minute video I talk about navigating work-life balance.

For those of you who can’t watch the video, read this article: 11 Creative Ways to Avoid Becoming a Workaholic.

Please note: I forgot to address this in the video, but I’ve been getting a lot of emails asking about my posting schedule. Don’t worry, it’s not going to change! Remember: be happy, do what you love, and don’t worry about what other people say and do. It’s a waste of energy.

As Dr. Brown says, “Authenticity is a collection of choices that we have to make everyday. It’s about the choice to show up and be real. The choice to be honest. The choice to let our true selves be seen.”

So I’ll still be writing about simplicity, while being as authentic as possible. Have a great weekend!

Now onto the news . . .

4 Key Habits that will Improve Your Whole Life

“Feeling broken lets pieces of your best self fall apart. You might even feel a little lost in life, going through the motions . . .

If I want to be a great writer, step mom and wife, I need to live a great life. Subconsciously, that’s what I’ve been doing, ever since deciding to get out of debt and work for myself. Living a great life is my true amazing work in progress. Since that first year as a step mom, I’ve changed.”

Minimalism and Blogging are Here to Stay

“We are real people writing for real people, and real people reading what real people write.

We are not cyborgs or zombies or zomborgs.

We are girls and boys, men and woman, husbands, wives, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers and friends. Real people.”

When You Are Sad

“Faith and hope make up the foundation of the soul. Sadness is simply a little heaving of that foundation when the chilly winds of self doubt or uncertainty waft in.”

Free-Range Social Media

“The Free-Range Social Media movement is about standing up and saying, ‘I will do my best to make my online space cruelty, cage, and copying free.'”

To Live a Life You Can Be Proud Of

“One of the greatest benefits of choosing to live a simple, minimalist life is that many of the pursuits above become replaced. And while choosing to intentionally live with less doesn’t automatically shift the focus of our lives… it can certainly provide the space that makes it possible.”

Cool Stuff

***

A great way to spread the word about my posts is to use the Retweet button or click on the “Like” Facebook button. Thanks for your support!

• Chris O'Byrne January 28, 2011, 11:41 am

We love these videos. 🙂

Do you find that it’s easier to separate your work life from the rest of your life now that Logan has a set schedule?

• Tammy January 28, 2011, 11:52 am

@Chris – ahhh thanks! And yes I do.

Before Logan got the day job, we had a decent routine set-up. But now that he’s out of the house so much, I find it a lot easier to focus. 🙂

• Chris O'Byrne January 28, 2011, 11:57 am

I can see where it would be hard to focus with that eye candy around. 😉

• Tammy January 28, 2011, 12:10 pm

LOL! Yes, my man is very cute. 🙂

• Jessica January 28, 2011, 12:50 pm

For those of us with office jobs, like myself, setting clear boundaries is something you need to make sure you establish from the start. I’ve dropped back at my work at 7-8pm to pick up forgotten items and there are still other people there, still working!

Jessica

• Sandra - Always Well Within January 28, 2011, 1:39 pm

Tammy,

It was really fun to see you on video. Short video like this works best for me. I agree wholeheartedly with your message of authenticity. I followed the link on Minimalism and Blogging Are Here to Stay and was equally touched by Courtney’s message.

• Luinae January 28, 2011, 6:17 pm

Thank you so much for the link! I’m honored to be linked by someone so well known, like you.

Also, I completely agree with “Minimalism and Blogging Are Here to Stay.” I am so much more than an internet-user. I am a dancer, a daughter, a sister, a teacher, a student, a yogi, a writer, and a friend. What she said really resonated with me, especially the bit about how sharing and contributing your art (dance, ideas, music), you told your story.

You also made some really good points in the video about digital sabbaticals.

• David January 31, 2011, 5:54 am

I think that the last bit of your video is the “key” to the work and life balance. When we are with someone, we need to be with them. That means we give them 100% of our attention. We must stop using our computer, our phone, or whatever other distraction and become aware of the moment. Our time is a gift when we give someone our complete attention.

• Nina Yau January 31, 2011, 7:14 am

You are adorable, Tammy! I love and adore you!!

• Tammy January 31, 2011, 4:39 pm

@Nina – Right back at ya! You rock. 🙂

• Marnie January 31, 2011, 5:05 pm

The one point that really hit home for my is spending time in nature. I spend so much of my time in front of a computer I seem to be always indoors. Nature needs to become more of a priority in my life. Thanks for the reminder.

→ Next post: