Take This Job & Shove It

Over the last few months, I’ve been interviewing amazing bloggers about simple living, location independence, financial freedom, and more. Every Thursday, a feature interview is posted on RowdyKittens. Last week I spoke with Joshua Becker about minimalism, downsizing, and his new book Inside-Out Simplicity.

This week the feature interview is with Tyler Tervooren, from Advanced Riskology.

Enjoy the interview peeps!

***

Tammy: Tyler, can you tell us about your awesome new (and free) ebook, Take This Job & Shove It? Also, take a moment to explain the philosophy behind your blog.

Tyler: Of course. Take This Job & Shove It is a step by step, practical resource for anyone that’s stuck in a job they hate and dream about the day they can quit, but can’t see the connection between the two. I decided to write it after making the huge changes in my life that led up to the creation of the blog.

When I was still working in the construction industry, almost every single day I’d have a chat with my co-workers (and even my boss!) about what we’d do if we didn’t need our jobs anymore. Some of us wanted to start our own business and some of us just wanted to find a way to make a decent living doing some hobby. Every day we’d have this conversation and every day it would end with everyone saying, “but I’m lucky to have this job.”

I wrote the guide for anyone that’s had that conversation before, whether it was with friends or just with their self.

The philosophy behind Advanced Riskology is that we all learn, grow, and succeed far more when we take big risks in our lives than when we try to play it safe and “just get by.” My goal is to help people live interesting lives by taking bigger risks.

Tammy: One of my favorite parts of Take This Job and Shove It is your discussion of the F*** You Fund. Can you tell us a little bit more about the concept and what our readers can do today to start building an F*** You Fund?

Tyler: So, a F*** You Fund is the money you set aside while you’re still working so that when the day comes, you can walk into work and telling your boss to “take this job and shove it.” Of course, it doesn’t have to be so dramatic, but I found that giving it a name like that makes it more fun to actually keep up with.

I go into a lot of details in the free guide about how to build it and stick with it as well as some of the misconceptions around it like the idea that it has to take a long time or that it has to be a ton of money, but I think Rowdy Kittens readers are great candidates for building a F*** You Fund because their already predisposed to living what I call a “low overhead” lifestyle.

Anyone interested in minimalism that has a few personal finance skills already has exactly what it takes to be super effective with the information in Take This Job & Shove It.

My #1 tip for someone that wants to start today, though? Open a savings account and set up a weekly automatic transfer to it. Doesn’t matter how much. Just get it started.

Tammy: What’s your opinion of minimalism and do you consider yourself a minimalist?

Tyler: I consider myself more of a maximalist with minimalist tendencies if that makes any sense!

Basically, my life strategy is to fit as many experiences as possible into my short time here on Earth. When I’m lying on my deathbed, I want my brain to be “stomping on the suitcase” full of memories trying to get it to close.

In order to achieve that, though, I take on a lot of minimalist principles. I own very few material possessions. I only spend my money on things that will leave me with an awesome memory, and I am always in search of the simplest and most elegant way to achieve a goal. I despise complexity.

So, some minimalists might call me a contradiction in that sense, but I’m ok with that!

Tammy: Your blog rocks and I think everyone should head over and take a look at your content. Which of your posts should my readers check out first?

Tyler: If I had to guess which post would be the most popular with minimalists it would be the one about how to instantly add 8.2 years and $133,369 to your life. Hint: It has to do with your TV.

Tammy: Everyone has unique skills; skills that I call superpowers. What is your superpower?

Tyler: Ha. Great question! I think my superpower is the power to “move on.” I occasionally get emails or notes from readers asking, “I want to do [something cool, but scary] but what if it doesn’t work and [something crappy] happens instead”?

My answer is usually, “big deal.” I mean, I try to be nicer and more helpful than that, of course, but I’m really all about picking up after and moving on when something doesn’t go my way. That’s critical I think in a life filled with risk taking.

Failure is just part of the game. It happens all the time, but I’m really not interested in dwelling on it. We learn a lot more from our successes than we do failures, so when I screw something up, I spend a few minutes looking for the big “Duh!” that I need to remember not to repeat, and then I get on with trying again.

Also, I have x-ray vision.

Tammy: Thanks Tyler!

If this post helped you, please share it on twitter! And don’t forget to head over to Advanced Riskology and check out the awesome content!

• Tyler Tervooren August 19, 2010, 6:21 am

That was a really fun interview, Tammy. Thanks so much for having me. I hope your readers get a lot out of it. 🙂

• Luke @ simplifi.de August 19, 2010, 6:33 am

Great interview! I really like the “stomping on the suitcase” analogy – a motivating way of looking at it.

The X-ray vision comment cracked me up!

• Danby August 19, 2010, 6:41 am

Thanks to you both for an inspiring interview! My husband and I have been working on a f*** you fund for a little over a year now. Having a stash of money set aside “just in case,” is really a quality of life issue — it’s so much more peaceful knowing we can still pay our bills if one or both of us are suddenly unemployed . Tyler, I’ll definitely check out you blog. I’m a bit of a ninny about leaping after my dreams, so could probably benefit from from your perspective.

• Logan August 19, 2010, 6:51 am

Great interview Tyler and Tammy!

I’ve always loved that Johnny Paycheck song title. It says so much about how people feel trapped in their bills and comforts of ‘the devil they know’. Great to hear more folks are taking risks and pursuing what makes them passionate about life. 🙂

Cheers!

• beowuff August 19, 2010, 7:47 am

Thanks for the interview! My wife and I are just starting to minimize our lives. I’ve become fed up with my career in IT, so we are trying to figure out how to pay off debt as quickly as possible. Between minimizing our lives and taking risks, I look forward to having a more fulfilling life.

You are both huge inspirations for me!

• Logan August 19, 2010, 8:07 am

Hi Tyler and Tammy,

A friend of mine suggested watching a few TED talks on the topic of Fear and Pursing your passion in life. I think this video talk series fits right in with the advanced riskology philosophy. I can see you two doing a TED talk like this one day. 😉

Cheers!

• Tyler Tervooren August 19, 2010, 9:23 am

Logan, I’ve seen the talks that Chris Guillebeau and Jonathan Fields gave, but I haven’t seen the rest of them. I’ll be checking them out this afternoon.

You’re right. It totally fits the theme.

• Fabian | The Friendly Anarchist August 19, 2010, 8:22 am

The “maximalist with minimalist tendencies” makes total sense to me. I think that’s what life really should be about. Thanks for the interview, Tammy and Tyler!

• Angela V-C August 19, 2010, 10:10 am

Great interview Tammy, and nice website, Tyler! I’ve been enjoying poking around it this afternoon. In many ways I’m not much of a risk-taker myself but I do love doing things that other people think are either impossible or just stupid (like living in 650 square feet with two kids). But maybe I’ll start watching for opportunities to take more risks!

• dj August 19, 2010, 2:05 pm

I get the concept and everything, but my gut doesn’t quite feel right. I think a better solution is that we all learn to respect one another, boss and employees; a team working towards a common goal. A while back our neighbor put up a wooden fence and the contractor sprayed sealant on the fence. If they would have asked, we would have gladly allowed them to come to our side and spray. Instead they reached over and in the process sprayed our plants and killed them (not to mentioned poisoned our soil). I called the fence contractor and explained the situation. He immediately began saying terrible things about his employees. I was flabbergasted. I thought to myself, now I know why his employees did the job the way they did, because that is the way the boss treated them. I felt empathy for his employees. Maybe I watch too much Oprah, but I do think we get more of what we put out into the Universe; treat employees poorly, employees perform poorly. There was a short time where employees were valued and trained; when “One Minute Manager” and Tom Peters principles were something to strive for. Employees, managers, bosses, CEO’s, are all just people. It’s always good to have savings because we don’t know what tomorrow will bring. But feeling so bad with your employer, working longer, harder, for less, in worse conditions, that you are ready to explode, well that is really a sad commentary on the state of our economy :-(, business, and the human condition. I like to look at good companies: Dr. Bronners, Patagonia, SAS, and think, how can we take what they are doing right, and apply it.

PS: I don’t think 7% is a “reasonable estimation”, especially today and looking forward, in regards to “how to instantly add 8.2 years and $133,369 to your life”, but that did catch my eye so I read the article. Demographics and inflation had a lot to do w/mkt growth, and historical dividends. I get the “spend your time wisely”, but the money part is way off. They accounted for inflation, but not taxes, or the fees and time associated with purchasing and managing the investments. At a minimum there are broker or management fees, then if you do your homework there is the cost of data, software, Value Line maybe, Morningstar, TaxAct, subscriptions to papers & magazines (paper or online), or you pay a fee to a CFP and tax preparer. And, hopefully when you take the money out, after all the fees, it wasn’t when the next bubble burst. I love PBS: NOVA, Scientific American, Dr. Who, Rosemary & Thyme, Good Neighbor. I like the late night shows and NCIS. I tape them so I can watch them when I’m available and fast-forward through commercials. We use to get 2 PBS networks, but Time Warner dropped one. Their BS excuse, redundancy. I program out a lot of cable programs that I don’t want, but have to pay for because they are bundled. If one thing would change with cable, I wish the bundle/tiers would end, and we could actually choose the channels we want. I bet a lot of that junk on cable would go away because no one would subscribe to them. I wouldn’t have cable at all, but when I inquired about an roof antenna, it was going to cost $500. Cable is currently $15 for over the air network stations that Time Warner allows. If rates rise, Netflix is looking like a better alternative at $10/mth.

• Lisa August 19, 2010, 4:30 pm

I did, it was hard, it is hard, but there is NOTHING I would rather be doing than being authentic and doing what I love… risky is scary, being broke can be terrifying, putting yourself out there when you have no reference can be absolutely daunting, but I say this with complete sincerity, what are you waiting for? When you leave this planet you’re gone, period, no job, no paycheck, nothing is coming with you… wouldn’t you rather be experiencing YOUR LIFE unknowns and all then be miserable at the benefit of someone else?

I give free coaching all the time on this, please feel free to email. This is THE best blog, I just love coming here, so genuine and so well done.

• Katie August 19, 2010, 5:36 pm

Hey! I love your blog! I miss the facebook, etc. share button, I love to share with my friends and many have started following your blog as well now.

Thanks for doing what you do, you are an inspiration.

Katie

• Logan August 20, 2010, 7:01 am

Thanks for the comment Katie. Tammy took down the Facebook share button to try and find a slow-page load culprit. Thanks for reminding us to put it back up! Tammy added the FB share button back and you should find it at the bottom of each post now. 🙂

• Caz from Aus August 20, 2010, 5:40 am

I went out of “traditional” employment about 10 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did! I do a mix of self-employment, contract work and community currency work (Local Exchange Trading System, I think timebanks are also popular in the USA) and it just works for me. I don’t have a “boss” as such, and if I decide to, if a client asks me to do work I can decide if I am too busy or not (sometimes that means I am too busy working for myself). Living simply opens up so many more opportunities than being a slave to a “lifestyle”!

• ilima August 22, 2010, 6:00 pm

In these discussions nobody ever mentions health insurance. I’ve often dreamed of ditching my job and doing something I absolutely love on my own terms and–most importantly–where I want to live. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with cancer, despite living healthy and no family history. $hit happens, I guess. But let me tell you how glad I am that I had insurance that allowed me to go to a top cancer center for treatment. There is no way I would have had the $150K+ my treatment has cost so far in a F*** You Fund. Instead, I’d have just been fucked.

In these discussions I’d like to see more attention paid to real risks such as this.

• Logan August 23, 2010, 8:10 am

Hi ilima,

You have a point. Tammy and I did budget for health insurance in our FU fund however its a risk that we felt we had to take. It is another topic but we also feel that healthcare should be part of the public infrastructure. No one should suffer and die due to such a preventable condition of poverty. However on the flip side, life is too short to not risk a gamble on pursuing your happiness, life and liberty. It is a risk to leave big company benefits but its one we felt like we needed to take compared to the alternative of suffering another disease of emotional regret through depression.

We hope your treatments are going well and you kick that cancer’s ass. Cheers.

• Christine August 23, 2010, 8:54 am

Health insurance is the only reason my husband and I haven’t taken the big risk, because we’re a little nervous about buying our own policy. Do you have any tips on buying health insurance? And do you feel at all on edge about your plan dropping you if you get sick? We talk all the time about how if we were in Canada – a mere 50 miles away – this wouldn’t even be an issue!

• Lisa August 23, 2010, 8:20 am

I have never had health insurance, even when I raised my son as a single parent. The system in the US actually encourages people to stay unemployed so that can receive full, paid Medicare benefits. If you are a self employed, working individual, health insurance in off the table. Even when I had full time, executive positions, the insurance payments deducted from my paycheck was so substantial, that I opted out and had to “wing it” going out of pocket – this was really hard when my son was young and stricken with acute asthma and migraines. I was 40K in debt before my son was five years old.

There is no “healthcare” in the US there is only privatized, select care for those wealthy enough to pay for it – its a known fact, if you are a working class citizen in the States, or you have fallen on hard times, you will deplete your savings, lose your home and basically die far sooner than someone with a lot of money – tragic but all too true.

Is this reason to not pursue thriving in your life right now? I say no. I pay out of pocket at least $100 plus per month for medications I need as a “self pay” individual and if I were to get sick I’m probably screwed, but right now I’m working on and working with projects and clients that stimulate me, excite me and give me reason to be happy to be around everyday – depression is not an option so you take what you can from this US we live in and do your best to manage the rest. Best of luck to Ilima, Logan and Tammy.

• Scott M. Behren September 3, 2010, 12:54 pm

Great posting, so once you all have taken the advice laid out in the e-book, if your employer gives you a hard time about getting what you are supposed to get, then check out our employee rights blog http://www.takethisjobnshoveitblog.com.

• Moneymakergal September 28, 2010, 4:05 pm

I absolutely loved this interview as well! And I downloaded the ebook, of course!