≑ Menu

A Young Couple Find Freedom in Simple Living

I normally don’t post on Wednesday, but I have exciting news!

A few months ago our lovely friends Janaia and Robyn interviewed us about our simple living journey. We talked about peak oil, tiny homes, and emergency preparedness. And the interview is up on Peak Moment Television!

You can watch the segment below or listen to the audio version.

Rather than follow the customary American dream, Tammy and Logan sold their car, and moved to a bikeable/walkable neighborhood in Sacramento, California. After reading Derrick Jensen’s writings, this couple used Your Money or Your Life as a means to get out of debt and, they feel, regain their lives and their future. While they recount the psychological challenges of facing a future of declining resources, the catalyst that continues to move them forward is a dream of living in an affordable tiny house within a supportive community. (rowdykittens.com).

• Merry January 20, 2010, 7:05 am

I just saw this on youtube – that’s how I found your blog. I thought it was a great interview and really spoke to some of the changes I’m making to my life this year. Thank you!

• Tammy January 20, 2010, 7:41 am

Awesome! Thank you Merry and Jed. πŸ™‚ I’m glad you enjoyed the interview and the blog! It’s a little odd seeing myself on YouTube, but it was really fun interview process. πŸ™‚

• Jed January 20, 2010, 7:26 am

Just got done listening to your interview while going on my brisk, beautiful walk in the cold and snow (it’s 24 deg. out and sunny–perfect walking weather). I came home and did a search on your site and found this blog post about the interview at the top. How awesome.

I really enjoyed the show and plan to send out the link to some of my friends. I plan to visit your blog often–thanks for a great show and making my walk even better than expected!

jed

• Michael January 20, 2010, 8:08 am

You guys, this SO SUPER!! What an inspiration!! You both did so well in the interview, your personalities really came through and you make simple living seem viable for everyone. Great job! WoooHoo!!!:D

• Tammy January 20, 2010, 8:18 am

Ahhh thank you Michael! I think simple living is a viable option for everyone. Living a simpler lifestyle has given us freedom and so many choices. For example, we are finally pursuing our dream and moving to Portland! 4 years ago that would have been impossible. We were saddled with debt and felt so stuck.

• Steph January 20, 2010, 8:51 am

Woohoo! Way to go, guys. I’m excited to watch this when I get home tonight.

• Lisa January 20, 2010, 10:40 am

Great interview!

• Alejandro Reyes January 20, 2010, 11:07 am

I really want to watch this, but it seems I won’t be able to do it from work.

I’ll wait, but it sounds great, it makes me want to see!

• Michael Janzen January 20, 2010, 11:16 am

You did great! Wonderful to see more people discovering the benefits of living simply. You’re setting a wonderful example for all of us too.

• Tammy January 20, 2010, 7:13 pm

@Michael and Charley. Thank you so much! I’m glad you liked the interview.

@Charley – Maybe you can go carfree when the little ones get older? Or even go car-lite? πŸ™‚ Have you checked out Car Fee with Kids?

• Charley @ You, Simplified January 20, 2010, 2:14 pm

Ah terrific interview. Am about half way thru it now. Congratulations to you guys on the steps you’ve taken. Very inspiring but I still can’t part with the vehicle. Three premature babies means lots of doctor’s appointments and we’ve been to the emergency room twice already.

– Charley

• James NomadRip January 20, 2010, 7:54 pm

Excellent interview Tammy! I’ll finish the rest in the morning, but it’s funny I only now know what your voice sounds like πŸ˜€

• Tyler Smith January 20, 2010, 10:45 pm

You guys are rock stars! You interview well and present your perspectives clearly and intelligently. Well done!

: Tyler

• Tammy January 21, 2010, 5:44 pm

@Tyler, Kerri and James – thank you all! It was a fun experience. But it’s still weird seeing myself on camera.

There were some reporters in the office today (interviewing the boss) and they got me on some b-roll footage. Yikes!

• Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell January 21, 2010, 4:35 am

Congratulations, Tammy!

• Chandra January 21, 2010, 10:56 am

Awesome! Very inspiring. I really understand that depressed and helpless feeling.

• Jim January 21, 2010, 5:38 pm

I’m so impressed with the fine job that you and Logan did with the interview. You were/are both so well spoken and articulate that it was a real pleasure to hear you share your dreams and life philosophy. I love your focus on community. We so need to understand that it’s only through focusing on common goals and ideas rather than individual gratification, that we can begin to heal the awful damage done to our Mother Earth. Best to you both and good wishes for your move to Portland!

• Logan January 23, 2010, 7:33 pm

Holy cow! This interview just made the treehugger website! http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/01/living-simply-american-dream.php

Living the dream, day by precious day. πŸ™‚

• Michael Janzen January 23, 2010, 8:20 pm

TREEHUGGER!!! Awsome! Batten down the hatches and put WP Super Cache into lockdown mode (maybe) πŸ™‚

• puerhan February 15, 2010, 11:40 am

Great stuff, really very inspiring! I wonder what kind of stuff like this is going on here in the UK.

β†’ Next post: