≑ Menu

5 Ways to Eliminate Stress

Beautiful Ella 03

I’ve been feeling stressed lately. I’m nervous about our upcoming move and whether or not all of our stuff will fit in the back of my parents truck. Over the weekend, we tried a test move. We taped the measurements of my parents truck bed in our living room and started filling it with our boxed stuff. We don’t have a lot of personal items, but the household stuff is going to take up a lot of space. Our bulk food, emergency water containers and go bags took up more space than I expected.

Worrying about our stuff seems so trite, especially when you consider the disaster that just happened in Haiti. We live in an uncertain world and I think having control over my “stuff” gives me an illusion of security.

Since I’ve been feeling a little freaked out, I’ve been thinking about how to deal with stress and wanted to share 5 ways to eliminate moving stress. I’ve been applying these tips to my moving worries, but I think they could work for any type of anxiety.

1. Breathe

If you start feeling anxious or upset, take several deep breaths. The lovely Gwen Bell pointed out a few weeks ago that, “life asks you to pay close attention. Knowing that each moment really is it. It has all your yesterdays and tomorrows in it.” Taking the time to breathe and cultivate awareness in yourself is powerful. Life can be stressful, but we always have the option to make positive changes.

2. Reflect

With all the bad news, I’ve been reflecting on my life and how I can help others. David, from the Simple Organized Life, wrote an excellent post last week about how the people in Haiti would love to have a simple and organized life. It’s easy to get caught up in everyday dramas and forget that we are very privileged. (Especially, those of us who have extra time, access to information, clean water, etc.).

3. Do yoga

Yoga is an amazing meditative workout. The practice has a way of bringing me back to my senses and showing me what’s important in life. Stuff is only stuff. People and relationships are the things that matter.

4. Unplug

Leave your electronic device at home and take a walk. During your walk, observe the birds, look at the colors in the sky or listen to the patter of rain. Be present in your life and notice your surroundings. It’s so easy to plug into an iPod and just zone out. Zoning out isn’t an inherently bad thing, but it you’re feeling stressed it’s hard to get in touch with the cause of your problem or what you can do to change your circumstances.

5. Start a legacy project

Consider starting a legacy project. Think of ways you can add value to the world and do it. Maybe you can start a blog, write a book, take family portraits for free or join a community organization. There are so many possibilities. Dream big and don’t listen to the naysayers.

“One key element of a successful artist: ship. Get it out the door. Make things happen.”

***

I hope you found these tips useful. How do you deal with stress?

• Merry January 21, 2010, 7:10 am

I find that getting creative (I love to knit and crochet) helps me stay centered and in the moment. No matter what else is going on, finding time to just sit and work with my hands for a few minutes makes a huge difference in how I’m feeling.

• Correen January 21, 2010, 7:30 am

Thanks for the stress reliever ideas! Gotta always remember #1, must do #4 (promise I will today πŸ˜‰ and pondering #5 big time. Best of luck with your move – in a few weeks you’ll be comfy and settled into your new place. Peace!

• Charley Forness January 21, 2010, 8:53 am

Some very good links in here. I really like the idea of starting a Legacy project. If more of us would only try this…

– Charley

• Alejandro Reyes January 21, 2010, 9:54 am

Wonderful list Tammy, you should not worry about your upcoming move, after all things are going to be just fine. You are prepared and have all what you need to make the trip a safe one.

The Legacy project idea seems like something I will adopt in the near future.

• Lisa January 21, 2010, 10:43 am

Thanks for all the great stress reducer tips. I’ll apply one or two of them today!

• Tyler Smith January 21, 2010, 11:11 am

Hey! I know that screaming baby! Great photo choice for this subject. Nothing shows stress like an upset 6 month old.

Great tips as well.

: Tyler

• Tammy January 21, 2010, 5:39 pm

@Tyler – ahhh but she is such a cute screaming baby. πŸ™‚

• Liz January 21, 2010, 1:25 pm

Great tips! I think I’ll roll my mat out and do some yoga this afternoon πŸ™‚

• DIYgal January 21, 2010, 1:30 pm

Thanks so much for posting the list! This month is very stressful for me, and although I usually turn to knitting for some relief I’ve not had much luck with that right now either. I’ve considered trying yoga for a little while now, and after reading your thoughts on it I might have to look a lot more into it and start making it part of my routine. Oh, and a legacy project is a great idea!

• Tammy January 21, 2010, 4:22 pm

Thanks all for leaving a comment! Keep me posted on your legacy project plans and yoga experiences. If you’re interested in doing a guest post about stress reduction techniques, contact me. πŸ™‚

As always thanks for reading RowdyKittens! You guys rock. πŸ™‚

• linda January 21, 2010, 10:49 pm

I love the idea of thinking of others! I volunteer at a homeless shelter to help give me prespective on my own life. When I am feeling a little stressed, I make sure I have some “me time” and that usually involves going for a walk to a park near me, just sitting on a park bench and listening to the birds and just relaxing with the natural environment.

• Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell January 22, 2010, 5:01 am

Great list, Tammy. I think you’ve touched upon some great tips. I plan on starting yoga next week and I’m going to start volunteering at an assisted living facility. I also find losing myself in a good book helps relieve some of the stress I’ve been feeling lately.

• Sarah August 16, 2010, 11:19 am

Great list. I really need to reduce stress and sometimes I forget about the small things I can do to feel better. πŸ™‚

• Mary September 30, 2010, 7:36 pm

Glad I “discovered” your blog…I will be visiting often…I’ve wandered away from this and needed to find my way back…thanks for helping me get my train back on the track πŸ™‚

• Tammy October 1, 2010, 5:23 am

Thanks Mary! πŸ™‚ Keep me posted on your journey.