4 Simple Reasons to Sell Your T.V.

We gave away our television a few years ago and upon hearing the news our friends and family asked “Why would you do that? Are you upgrading to a plasma?”. Breaking out of our zombie like TV addiction was one of the best health related decisions we ever made. Here are a few simple and easy reasons to sell your TV:

1. More time.

In the old days, I used to come home from work, turn on the TV, watch the news or a sitcom and vedge out. Now that I’m not sitting in front of the TV I have an incredible amount of time to engage in many types of activities. I’m more likely to go outside for a bike ride, write in my journal and spend quality time with friends and family. For instance, in the morning I workout and in the evenings I spend my time writing and reading. It was incredibility liberating to break free from the TV addiction.

What is Reality?

What is Reality?

2. Save money.

How much is your monthly cable bill? I’m not sure what the going rate for cable is, but when I had cable it was around $50 a month, which translates into $600 per year. Personally, I would rather spend that money on a vacation or put it in my tiny house savings account. Additionally, I find I am less exposed to advertising and this helps curb recreational shopping.

3. Improve your health.

Studies have shown that TV is bad for your health. Sitting on our butts for hours and hours everyday is just not good. So turn the TV off and take a walk, spend time with friends/family, and be part of reality.

4. A new perspective.

When we owned a T.V. everything in our living room was centered around this little black box. Logan liked to refer to our TV as the sun in our apartment and that all of our belongings seemed to orbit this tiny TV solar system. Now our living room is much more open, welcoming, and our lives are centered around each other.

Closing thoughts…

I don’t think television is inherently bad. We still watch a few programs once in a while on our laptop and will occasionally rent movies too. However, I’m typically disappointed by this form of entertainment. Maybe I’m watching the wrong television shows and movies, but it seems like every storyline is recycled.

What do you think? Is there anything you would add to the list?

Note: Image from www.indonesiamatters.com

• susan June 16, 2009, 5:13 am

My tv died about 8 months ago and I decided not to replaces it. Like you, I watch shows from time to time online and rent movies. I’d add, Improve Your Mind to the list. Without all of the blaring, annoying commercials getting forced upon me, I actually think I’m feeling better about myself as a result. Advertising’s geared toward convincing us we aren’t good enough without the newest, coolest product. The products might look nice, but underneath it, they’re all communicating there’s something inherently lacking that we NEED. Perhaps if we didn’t plant ourselves in front of TVs we’d be a more responsible, less consumer-addicted culture. At least when watching tv shows online (such as ABC) I only have to watch ONE commercial with each break, and half way through, can opt out of it.

• Lellewynn June 16, 2009, 3:07 pm

I would add happiness to that list because most of the advertisements are aimed at making us feel miserable because we don’t have the newest and best, or makes us feel ugly because we aren’t getting liposuction or wearing the right brand of makeup.

• nicole July 30, 2010, 7:08 pm

we sold our tv almost a year ago and we couldn’t be happier! it has been so much easier to live simply without the constant noise of the tv and advertisements. Also, rearranging furniture has never been more fun, we don’t have to worry about where the outlets and cable are for the tv!

• D August 9, 2010, 12:16 pm

I’ve been living a TV-free life for more than a year now. At first, I watched occasional movies on my laptop. I still do once in a while, but less often than I thought I would. A move, a life change and lack of money is how it started–and now I don’t want to stop. TV-free living is great because I have more time for more important things.

• Adriana August 17, 2010, 1:00 pm

I am so happy I found your website! We live without cable for 5 years now. We still own a TV on which we watch movies and shows that we can rent from the internet. I am extremely happy with our decision, and so is our 11 year old son. We have no idea what is the latest add on TV for chocolate, detergent, or insurance. Extra bonus? I am so much more serene without the news also.

• Rob August 21, 2010, 6:11 pm

About 4 months ago I noticed that I had just watched a program that I didn’t like, and couldn’t remember a thing about it, all because I was exhausted and watching TV instead of going to bed. The next day I called comcast and turned off the cable TV (they called back in two days and really didn’t understand that I wasn’t going to watch TV any more) and within a week the TV was gone. My 3-year experiment of owning my first TV was over. I have lots more time now, and my pile of unread books is going down. I find myself occasionally missing having the TV around, but usually it’s because I’m too tired to think straight and really need to go to bed.

Now that I don’t have the TV, I find that TV shows watched on DVD on the computer or online are .. lacking. I think it’s the whole TV experience that makes them acceptable.

More thoughts on TV..